To tour the Oregon Historic District is to relive
the history of Dayton through the evidence of its architectural heritage.
In 1810, Dayton was a small community of 383 persons living on the
banks of the Great Miami River. There was no Oregon, no Miami-Erie Canal,
just a meandering gully to the east where the canal would eventually be
constructed. This gully flowed south from the Mad River to a point just
below the town where it joined the Great Miami. The only establishment
east of here was a sawmill located near East Fifth and Wyandot Streets.
South of this, near East Sixth Street, was a sawmill ground.
In May, 1815, Daniel C. Cooper, the proprietor of Dayton, laid out the
original outlots to the east including the area which would become Oregon.
On July 8, 1829, the first Oregon plat was recorded by Brainard Smith et
al for 27 building lots bounded by East Fifth, Jackson and sides of East
Sixth Street. John Van Cleve., local resident, wrote that that property in
Dayton was selling "very high" - noting that these 27 building lots had
sold for the grand total of $2,200.